So basically, Kao niew mamuang is a Thailand sweet dish, which is made with glutinous or sticky rice, coconut milk and mangoes.
Omputih panggil mango sticky rice.
Org Melayu panggil pulut mangga.
Org India panggil, entah lah. I have to ask them later. Noted.
I googled a lot of recipes and I also you-tubed some. They say one is never enough, right? I had to search for so many just to find the perfect one, or so I thought. Oh wait, more so the simplest one coz hey, I am not going to open a restaurant in the near future, so why bother with some tricky, fussy, finicky, complicated steps, am I right? If you are a full time student like I am, I think this recipe might help.
The ingredients are basically the same in all recipes I googled.
I used;
2 cups glutinous rice
1 tin of lite coconut milk ( lite, just to make everyone agrees)
1 teaspoon corn flour
Small amount of sugar ( according to your taste buds)
Wee bit of salt
Mangoes
Watermelon seeds (I know you'll go WHAAATTTTT, but hey, boleh Makan lahhh!!)
1. Wash the glutinous rice properly till the rice water appears clear. Then you need to soak the rice for at least..... Well, for as long as you want. Haha. They say for about 30 minutes, some say overnight. Being the terrible impatient person like I am, I soaked for about 20 minutes, just because I went for my Asar prayer and it took 20 minutes. So, if you can wait, then wait. If you don't, then don't. Easy.
2. Steam the rice till halfway cooked, then add 1/2 cup coconut milk with some salt. Stir. Be careful not to burn yourself (coz steam is very very hot) and not to add too much salt (coz hypertension is not cool). You know the rice is cooked when it appears to be translucent and tender.
3. With the remaining coconut milk, warm it in the saucepan with some sugar. Keep on stirring. When it comes to a simmer, add the corn flour diluted with a small amount of water. You don't want to add the corn flour directly to the simmering coconut milk coz it can become clumpy and that doesn't look pretty. So just dilute it with water, then pour into your coconut milk. Keep on stirring. Extra tip, if you don't have corn flour with you, then don't panic or rush to the grocery shop. Just substitute with 2 spoons of all purpose flour, it will do just fine.
4. For extra kick, roast some seeds of your choice. My local supermarket was out of stock of sunflower seeds, so that's the reason why I used watermelon seeds instead of sunflower seeds. You can totally omit this, but believe me, crunchy element brings this dish to another level.
5. Cut your mangoes and put all the things together in a plate. Done!
Ok, jemput Makan.



No comments:
Post a Comment